Sunday, June 17, 2012

How Did I Get Here?

       The other day while traveling with a factory Representative, we were on the discussion of our background. I was telling him how my family was from the newspaper business and I was the only one that went a different direction. My Dad was the VP of production at the Philadelphia Inquirer & Daily News. My Grandfather and his brothers were all involved in the printing department. His response was "How did you get here?"
       Somewhat fitting with the US Open finishing today that it had a part in me getting in the golf business. My older brother was a greens mower for the 1981 US Open at Merion. So when I was looking for a new summer job, my brother suggested I call one of his friends who was an assistant. And the rest is history.
       Sometimes it is a single comment in a conversation that can cause reflection on who you are and how you have gotten to this point in your life.Though I chose a different industry than my family, I still learned a great deal from my Dad. His thirty five years at one company. His working his way up from loading trucks to being a Vice President. All great examples that hard work and loyalty are still important.
       As the end of another Father's Day comes to an end, I would like to wish all the Dad's out there and especially my Dad a Happy Father's Day! 


WJC

No comments:

Post a Comment