Monday, August 19, 2013

Assume

       When anyone uses the word assume, I cannot help but think right away of the old saying" You know what happens when you assume....You make an a** out of you and me!" The reason I am on the assume train is some recent transactions in my own territory and my 12 year old daughters new business.
       My daughter, Sydney, at 12 has her heart already set on buying my brothers old Jeep when she turns 16. So last year she put out a flyer to our neighbors offering to do anything from walking dogs, taking care of cats, collecting mail and watering plants. What is great to see is she is getting referrals and she is now getting calls from her customers friends and neighbors. Now as her business grows so does some of the growing pains. She had not set a fee in the past and would tell neighbors to pay me what you think is fair. Well after one person gave her some syrup as payment, she is now rethinking the pay as you feel as a fair plan.
        As I talked with her about giving the new people who she is dealing with some type of sheet with her charges or an invoice, I started to think about how I often conduct business and make  assumptions. This past year, I have had a few occasions where if I had it do over I would have gone in to more detail before coming to an agreement. For me, sometimes it is just because of a comfort zone with a longtime customer that I have let some things go unsaid. In reality, when both sides have a clear expectation what they are agreeing to and there are no surprises, everybody wins.
       And no, there are not any plans for a syrup special for greens mowers in the near future....


WJC

No comments:

Post a Comment