Tuesday, December 27, 2011

The future looks smaller from this far away!

        Using up some leftover vacation days this week, my older brothers and I drove down to the New Jersey shore to try and get in one last round of golf for the 2011 year. After our Plan A was shot down by a 28 man shot gun at one course, we decided to try something different. Laguna Oaks Golf Course, a Par 3 Course. I had heard a bunch about this project from our Rep who covered the area a few years ago. What made it even better is my 7 year old son, who loves golf had come with us.
One of the hardest things I have found is trying to get him out to play. He loves the game but with a max drive of 75 yards and the occasional whiff, it is not a very good fit during normal play.
What we found was conditions as nice as any high end club I have played. It was really a blast.
As we came around after the first 9 (holes are numbers 10-18 because Fred Langford, owner/architect, does not want to change it when he builds his other 9) I just kept wondering if a project that started 20+ years ago might be what the future of golf looks like.
I wondered if this might be the answer for courses that are not viable any longer. With the next housing boom nowhere in sight, could this be the solution.
Definitely gave me lots to think about...
http://www.lagunaoaksgolf.com/PAGES/golfstyles.html

WJC
      

No comments:

Post a Comment