Monday, September 24, 2012

Can't Touch This!

       When I was loading a Toro GM 580-D, a 16 foot rotary, on my trailer early in my career I got some very valuable advice. DON'T EVER PUT YOUR HANDS ON A BLADE OR REEL WHEN THE ENGINE IS RUNNING!!!! Yes, it was is a loud voice and it stuck with me. Barney McFadden, who was a Master Salesman with Toro and the Toro guy in Philly for 42 years was the voice that to this day I still hear. I was going along the side of the unit and the decks were up and for some reason I had the engine running. When I grabbed the blade to go to the back of the unit was just when Barney had walked out of the office. He explained how he still had all his fingers after years of working with equipment and DON'T EVER PUT YOUR HANDS ON A BLADE OR REEL WHEN THE ENGINE IS RUNNING!!!!
       Recently I learned a local crew member of a golf course lost part of a finger and did some major damage to his hand. He is a longtime turfer and has always been talked about by coworkers as a great worker and how meticulous he is. All I know is he was hurt and it just took one second to make that mistake of having your hand near a running reel.
       We have all been there, sometimes we get to comfortable around equipment that we forget can do some serious damage when we don't respect it. Maybe on one of theses lovely frost delay mornings or the next time it rains, do some safety training. It is not always the high school or college summer help that can use that reminder.
       And like I still hear Barney's voice in my head to this day....DON'T EVER PUT YOUR HANDS ON A BLADE OR REEL WHEN THE ENGINE IS RUNNING!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment