Sunday, September 9, 2012

Shooting With A Long Arrow

       Recently I heard Irish singer Glen Hansard on the radio, as I was flipping through the stations in my mobile office. He was doing a live concert and talking in between each song with a little explanation of what was behind it. The one song he explained "That sometimes in life you need to shoot a long arrow". He went on to talk about how at the time it might not be the easy answer or make complete sense but you need to look at life often in the long term. I thought it was a really smart way to say something I have always believed and my coworkers have heard me say that it is a marathon and not a sprint!
       With the recent passing of USGA legend Stanley Zontek, those words seemed very fitting. I had over the years met Stanley on few occasions and heard him speak many times. One of the things in business people sometimes discuss is your sphere of influence. Well Stanley's might have been one of the largest in the golf industry and absolutely in the Mid-Atlantic region of the USA. His friendship and support of Superintendents in his 41 years is truly incredible. I can't count how many times I have spoken to guys who said Stanley was just in and.....What followed always was a good thing. Even in tough times he had a positive influence on so many people's lives and careers.

Here is to a life well lived!


The link below is to a really well written article by Joe Logan.
His analogy of Stanley to an Uncle is the perfect fit.
http://myphillygolf.com/


WJC

No comments:

Post a Comment