Sunday, April 7, 2013

Reality Turf

       As I sat Friday night switching between the Phillies game and one of my new reality TV show favorites, Fast & Loud, on the Discovery channel, I could not help but think about used turf equipment. For those of you who have not seen Fast & Loud, it is about the owner of Gas Monkey Garage in Texas and his head mechanic, who buy and resell classic cars. What hit me was how the negotiations go in the purchase of the cars from the owners before they start the rebuild process. It made me think of sometimes what happens when people purchase or sell used equipment. The other correlation was the trip they made to the North West of the US and talked of how with the tough winters these cars were in better shape because they were put away for the season. Which is why I believe I would rather have a used piece from the Mid-Atlantic or the North East than down South where the conditions are tougher and seasons are longer. (IMHO) 
       We all want the most for our trade in but the problem is a 12 year old walk greens mower is not in big demand....I know over the years, more than a few times, my old boss Tom Drayer would say "Tell them we will give them $100 to keep it". The hard decision to make is it better to sell it off on your own or trade it in, where the price maybe lower but the deal gets done quicker. I know with some clubs the sale of old equipment goes into the general fund and does not help the greens department budget.
       I often get told that someone is selling a piece on the internet for $10K. So how are you offering $2K for a trade? When someone asks what a used piece of equipment is worth, the truth is Whatever you can sell it for! Also, just because they are asking $10K doesn't mean they have or will sell it for $10K. The truth is used turf equipment is like buying a used car. If I could buy it from the grandmother down the street who drove it to the store once a week and to Church on Sunday, I am in!
But if it has had multiple owners and there are no service records....Not so much.
Over the years, I have seen some great deals where both buyer and seller were happy. 

In the end-Caveat Emptor!


Classic Mower/One owner/Was only used on days that end in Y!




WJC







No comments:

Post a Comment