Saturday, May 4, 2013

Shirt & Tie Required

       What is someone walked into your office today in a shirt and tie? Would you think lawyer, OSAHA or Immigration? When I started in sales back in the early 1990's, we were white shirt and tie everyday, even on demos. Now after the first couple of years might I have broken the rules and been out in a golf shirt...Maybe. I once had a long time well respected Superintendent ask me if I worked for IBM.
But at the time the owner of Philadelphia Turf, Frank I Shuman, said that was how he wanted you to dress for work. Some of the rules and regulations came from his experience as a Major in WWII. We used black ball point pens (clearer when copied) & staples at a 45 degree angle in the left hand corner (making it easier to fold over). Some other things came from experience on the road, such as always have a blue sport coat hanging in your car in case you get asked to go into the club house. Now has the world changed since then, obviously yes! Considering I would call from a pay phone to check my voice mail and we did not even have a high tech pager yet.....

       At the time did I question the rules? Sure but looking back I understand the reasons behind the rules. So for me just starting out with no sales experience, it was probably a good foundation.

 
                                                    

WJC

No comments:

Post a Comment