Saturday, May 25, 2013

Merion Merion Merion


       In just about two weeks the United States Open Championship will be held at Merion Golf Club. If you have never had the chance to visit the area, I would tell you it might be defined as short on space! For me this is going to be something I don't think I will ever forget. I grew up about a mile from the course and have lived for most of my married life only a few blocks away from the East Course. So I know the area just a little bit...Starting in the turf business back in the late 1980's on the crew and now coming back 20+ years later as a volunteer will be pretty cool. Now will I be a zombie by Wednesday? Yes but I really appreciate Matt Shaffer giving me the opportunity to be a part of something I don't know if we will ever see here again in Philly.
       A few years ago I had the chance to go and visit Congressional CC a few weeks before they hosted US Open with Robert Smith, the Lead Technician from Merion GC. He wanted to get some insight from CCC on how they ran things. The comparison between the two sites is night and day, mainly just available acreage. I don't think TV will do it justice on how much this is going to be 10 pounds in a 5 pound bag. From the corporate tents on neighboring properties to using West Course as the driving range, this US Open has definitely taken some outside the box thinking!




No Parking!


No comments:

Post a Comment