Saturday, June 1, 2013

Merion Man

       The truth is like Flounder in Animal House, I was a legacy. My older brother was a greens mower for the 1981 US Open and as it is with most things in life...it is who you know. For me that is how my life/career in the Turf business started. The reality is that Merion Golf Club has been the launching pad for many in the Philly area and nationally is no coincidence. When you talk to people about their path it is always funny how many have spent time at Merion. Just the fact that the local Superintendents at Aronimink, Concord, Llanerch, Overbrook, Rolling Green and Saucon Valley all are Merion Alumni is not hard to read into. Whether you worked for Mr. Valentine, Dick Bator, Paul B Latshaw, Greg Armstrong or Matt Shaffer it has often been an advantage. For as many of us that have gone to the dark side (Sales...) or for those who have gone on to manage their own golf course, you always are proud that you had the chance to work at a Top 10 club with a history that matches up with any here in the USA. For me it was incredible to work for 2 of the true legends in the Turf business. Mr. Valentine, who was a true gentleman and just an incredible person. Then to work for Dick Bator who could not be out worked and pushed you to your limits and in the end was a driving force behind me getting my job selling Toro equipment. I consider myself lucky to have had my start at Merion and I really appreciate the opportunity to work one more tournament at what I consider my starting point.

The article below is one of the best insights into the history Merion and the Valentine family's influence. It really brought back some memories for me.

http://www.mainlinetoday.com/Main-Line-Today/June-2013/Merion-Golf-Clubs-Legacy-Among-Amateur-Golfers-and-US-Open-Professionals/index.php?cparticle=1&siarticle=0#artanc


WJC

No comments:

Post a Comment