Saturday, June 8, 2013

Rain Rain Go Away!

      Well it is finally here! The US Open at Merion is next week and the circus has come to town. I grew up in the area and live only a few blocks over from the East Course (and no you can't park on my yard!). So the good part is I can walk back and forth. The bad part is I am not sure you will be able to get anywhere without it taking hours to drive until the Monday after. I have been able to drive
into the East Course the last two days to get to the Turf Grass Maintenance Facility. Yesterday was a "park anywhere in the shop yard" day and today was a" I can't get there from here and can you come meet me" day. The amount of people and tents and trucks and fencing is unreal.
       It looks like I will be on the light tower crew each night/morning for the week of the US Open.
I am sure I will find out more at the volunteer meeting late tomorrow afternoon. It is going to be something very cool to be a part of! Yesterday afternoon I dropped off some right out of the oven Philly Soft Pretzels. I figured the guys who were stuck working could use some carbs. As I came in to drop them off Matt Shaffer, Director of Golf, walked in behind me and said " What do you think we have something going on here this week?" This is the cool part of my job....Matt sat down with Robert Smith, Merion's lead Technician, and I and just shot the bull. We talked a little equipment but mostly about things that were going on. For those of you who know Matt, he is as generous with his time as anyone I have ever worked with in the Turf industry. If he can, he will always make time for you. For a man who was hosting the US Open next week and in the middle of a tropical storm, you would have never known it. Sometimes nothing beats experience.
       All everyone has said (me included) was the place will hold its own as long as it doesn't rain. Well depending on who you talk to 3.5" to 5" of rain later....Well I have changed my mind! I think the rough is going to be an all-timer and I think that the course is in great shape. I think they really have it dialed in and things will be perfect.
Yes, I am biased but I think the second half of the week will be something to see!


 
 
 
WJC
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment