Saturday, June 22, 2013

The First Tee & 43

       Last Saturday evening I got the chance to attend a fundraiser for The First Tee of Greater Philadelphia at The Ace Club. I was the guest of Frank Shuman, who is a board member of TFTGP and the former owner of Philadelphia Turf. The featured speaker was President George W Bush, who is now the honorary chairman of The First Tee! Whether or not you agree with his politics, it was pretty cool to hear a former President speak. Mike Tirico of ESPN was the interviewer but really wasn't needed. President Bush was very energetic and you can tell he is passionate about golf. He kept referencing his day playing Pine Valley GC and giving grief to the rest of his foursome.
       While his talk was focused on how golf is a great learning tool for children and how important mentoring is, it had a mix of his opinions and shots at himself (How some think English is his second language). For me it was something I will never forget.
       Now for the fun part of the evening....As I approached the security entrance, I was greeted in my Ford F-150 pickup truck with a "May I help you?". As I said "I am here for The First Tee event!",
I got the response of "Are you a guest?". With the response of "Yes I am!", I proceeded off to valet parking. As I pulled up I told the Valet "Over/Under of 2 pickup trucks tonight", he laughed. So as the evening ended and I came out to get my truck, I asked the Valet "How many?". He laughed again and said" You were the only one!".



        

No comments:

Post a Comment