Saturday, June 15, 2013

The West Is The Best

       As I return from my second to last shift as a volunnteer at Merion Golf Club this morning, I thought about how the US Open week had played out. At the Sunday night meeting my named got announced as part of the West Course crew. The West Course has been set up as the practice facility for the US Open. After some discussions of what happened to the plans for me to work with the Technicians on The East Course,  I was set to head to the West. The reality of being a volunteer at a tournaments is you do what is needed to help. This past week I have raked mulch paths during the aftermath of the early week rain/mowed rough/mowed fairways/filled divots/raked/ran the back pack blower on the range tee and Squeegeed/squeegeed and squeegeed some more....
       Did I want to be on the East, sure but the reality is for these events to be successful not everyone can do a glamorous job and it is about being part of a team. What was fun was listening to the young staff members from the West Course. I had some flash backs of my time at Merion. They really took pride in what they do!The other cool part was a couple days into it, guys knew what needed to be done and hustled and helped wherever needed to make sure things were ready to go before 5:45AM range opening.
       Now I must admit that the 2:00AM wake up has not been a treat but the way the East is doing with all the rain and defending par is awesome to see (By the way read last weeks post and you can call me Nostradamus)!
       So over the next two days I will be watching as much as I can. But the best part to me is the rest of the worlds seeing why Merion Golf Club is a Top 5 rated golf course in the USA & Top 10 in the world!
Yeah that is the clock in my truck on Monday morning!

Congratulations to Matt Shaffer, Arron McCurdy and the Merion Staff on shocking the golf world!


WJC

No comments:

Post a Comment