Sunday, June 21, 2015

Hail to the Chief!

       Today was the end of an era. Scott Keener officially retired after over 25 years of selling Toro in Central Pa. My history with Scott dates back to my start in 1992. What Scott thought was just showing the new kid the ropes, became a fulltime Psychologist job! He was the one I would call each night to review my calls and advise me how I should handle them differently. While the calls might not have been every night over the last few years, his advice was still very important to me. When I read in business books that a mentor is  key to being successful,  think of how very lucky I have been to have Scott. What was great about it was we could disagree on how to handle a situation and I know I would get the all familiar,  " I am not going to tell you how to run your territory but....." and in the end I would do what I felt best, but he always would give me the straight opinion of how he would do it.
       My change in colors was slightly weird for both of us, especially since we had some similar accounts.In the end, it was Scott that helped me through a very challenging time in my career, by being a sounding board for my frustration.
       As his retirement gift, I wish there was some way to turn back the clock and give him the Toro Master Salesman award that I had won back in 2008. Scott was more deserving and I always believed the time that he gave to the military on deployments and rising to the rank of Chief Master Sergeant prevented his winning, when he was so deserving.
       Scott's support throughout my career is something that made an incredible difference in my path. It is always funny when someone refers to Scott as my Father and someone who doesn't know will ask what they are talking about. It says a lot when the people you work with refer to you as father and son. To a true mentor and friend, "Congratulations on your retirement!"

Happy Father's Day!

WJC

No comments:

Post a Comment