Sunday, January 13, 2013

Follow You Follow Me

       This past week I was asked if I would be interested in being interviewed for a local radio show called Golf Talk Live. The topic is going to be innovations in golf course maintenance in the past 20 years. The weekly show is hosted by Tony Leodora. Tony is one of the first people you think of when it comes to golf in the Philadelphia area. He has made a concerted effort to include the Superintendent's view in his show and has a great relationship with the Philadelphia Area Golf Course Superintendents Association.
       To me this was really an honor to be asked, hopefully it doesn't mean I am just old.
I started thinking about all the changes since I was a kid just starting out to what is done today. As my early Saturday morning started, I threw it out on Twitter to get some other opinions. I have not really figured out all the protocols on Twitter yet but I was blown away by the responses! What was cool was the first ones came from over the pond and then the US & Canadian Turfers followed. What was funny was Primo Maxx was mentioned a bunch. Not being in the chemical business, this was not on my radar. Final count was somewhere around 16 different votes. Very cool!
       Now I still occasionally get some grief from friends in the business with the "Are you going to Tweet that?" but I think it is a great tool to communicate. I think back to when I started in sales in the early 1990's and it was a big deal when I got a pager...Now I can throw out a question and get an instant response from a Superintendent in Ireland! Now that is innovation!


WJC

No comments:

Post a Comment